Friday, November 5, 2010

The Superfluity of Mellifluouness: A Myth?

Mellifluousness always brings to mind the image of honey that drips slowly from a stirrer onto a vat - so golden and so sweet. Yet unbeknownst to most, this seemingly smooth transition is racked by chaos. The secret behind this parody is entropy. Everything moves toward a state of chaos - from being settled in a jar to the disorder of movement.   

So am I belittling the state of mellifluousness? Definitely not! Though it is the traditional sense of mellifluousness that I am attacking. The concept of yesteryears is that speech needs to sound educated, regal, grand and outstanding. So in the present times, where is the mellifluousness there? With the preponderance of street slang and colloquial words which are incorporated into dictionaries in record time, how can the old-school concepts of regaling educated words endure?

Case in point jejemon. I really thought it was a silly bastardization of an already bastardized use of language (viz a viz TagLish). How can people sacrifice brevity for the sake of “artistic” word expressions? I never really got it. That is until I have come across a person who admitted that where he is from people spoke jeje before the craze. And one thing he said struck me most, “...to us it feels natural the way we speak, and we understand each other well. That’s what language is for anyway. Right?” (of course i forced him to say it in English for my benefit). So it came to my realization that some people truly get jejemon the way I get English and my father Ilonggo.  

Herein lies the narrowness of mellifluousness. The sweet-flowing words of one person may seem uneducated to another. The two halves of mellifluousness seem to Scylla and Charibdis on this point. And this is were I propose a truce to mellifluousness. Since sweetly-flowing smooth words are personal experiences and education of words are prejudiced aplenty, I say we adopt the former and abandon the latter notion as a requisite of mellifluousness.  

Language is indeed a vehicle of thought from one man to another. The lack of coarseness can only be determined by the speaker and the listener as a vessel should be devoid of judgement, so long as the object of language is achieved – communication. So as long as communication transpires, I think the conditions of mellifluousness has already been satisfied. 

After all that has been said, I will end with this fact. I have just baited you to read the superfluity of my mellifluousness. A myth? Not anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment